Risk Management: understanding all risks – from the economic to the political – that could affect our global business, and offering guidance to all parts of the bank
- To provide a bespoke credit risk and compliance function for High Net worth (HNW) customers in South Africa, by understanding their complex financing and investment needs which are not just locally in South Africa but also offshore, across jurisdictions (i.e. Jersey, Isle of Man, Mauritius), through the effective implementation of effective credit processes and systems, which extends across all products.
- To determine the qualitative and quantitative risk exposure for W&I.
Credit Risk Management
- Ensure effective execution of credit risk strategy and framework, aligned to business specific requirements, in line with risk appetite statement and Group policy.
- To continuously analyse and recommend improvements on the credit risk management framework, processes, systems and GRG.
- To manage a profile of counterparties and/or portfolio by proactively identifying risk groups to be place on the monitoring and watch list.
- To perform Hindsighting of the activities performed by the CRMs to ensure adherence to the regulations, the Group Credit Standard, PBB Global Credit Policy, and GRG.
- To plan for audits and reviews.
- To ensure remedial actions are taken on all audits and credit review findings.
- To be involved in drafting, vetting and negotiating of contractual agreements.
- Ongoing monitoring to ensure that all COA’s are actioned and maintained via an effective and efficient diary system.
- To be part of strategic project as a subject matter expert
- Assist Business in solutioning the implementation and draw down of deals.
- Add value to Wealth and Investment Clients by delivering prompt, efficient and professional compliance management service
- To hindsight the accurate preparation of banking facilities letters/term loan letters of offer/pre-agreement quotes and collateral documents within turnaround times
- Provides expert advice to business partners on credit risk, credit implementation and internal control.
- Ensures compliance with credit policies/legislation for Wealth clients
- Engages with business partners by providing strategic input and insight from a risk perspective, to assist business partners when formulating their tactics.
- Maintain a high quality-lending book, through the judicious and effective management thereof.
- Ensures regulatory compliance including monitoring compliance with laws, regulations and supervisory requirements, creating awareness amongst staff of relevant legislation and reporting any breaches and exposures.
- Monitors information technology and internal processes within agreed budgets and monitors performance against the budget on a monthly basis.
Credit Risk Operations:
- Implements account management strategies to ensure alignment with business partners.
- Continually evaluates and improves on existing practices within own area, ensuring continued validity and effectiveness.
- Continuous improvement and optimization of processes
- Provides expert advice to business partners on credit risk, credit implementation and internal controls with a “can-do” and customer rehabilitation mindset.
- Ensures that the information generated in the operating environment meets the needs of the business partners and is in accordance with Personal and Business Banking credit’s mandates, policies and procedures.
- Provides assistance to Relationship Managers/Transactional Relationship Manger with the implementation of complex lending deals.
- Monitors the timely preparation and submission of various monthly, quarterly reports (Overdue Review List/Excesses/Damage Control Report).
- Governance /actioning / collation of all reports / schedules for the monthly CRC and Monitoring list meetings – all matters pre / post the meeting to be attended to .
- Proactive management of ongoing terms and conditions of approval (Pre COA/Post COA and ongoing COA).
- Regularly peruses relevant internal and external communication, such as fan-outs, circulars, economic reviews on industries and financial or industry publications to ensure that any development, new requirements or external risks are properly taken cognizance off in lending decisions or conditions of lending.
- Provides monthly feedback to Head of the area and business stakeholders on operational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Manages a team to ensure effective delivery of objectives for the area.
- To mentor and develop CRMs and CROs, as well as managing day to day people matters.
- Develops a high performing team by embedding the bank’s performance process, regular performance feedback and coaching. Addresses poor performance.
- Motivates team members and ensures that they receive recognition for work well done.
- Determines development needs of the team and ensures that development opportunities (training, rotation, on-the-job learning) are budgeted for and executed.
- Maintains a succession plan for the team by reviewing the skills of the team at least twice a year and has career conversations with them.
- Interviews and recruits new members of the team, including determining the appropriate salary with input from the Human Capital Business Partner.
- Creates workforce plans for the area to ensure that current and future business requirements can be met. Such plans should be revisited at least twice a year.
- Uses workforce plans to obtain headcount approvals on an annual basis and as input into the financial budgeting cycles.
- Creates quarterly leave plans to ensure adequate coverage. Approves leave requests and leave sell requests.
- When required, initiates disciplinary processes for team members. Resolves grievances raised by team members, escalating only if unresolved.
- Responsible for providing expert advice to business partners on credit risk, credit assessment and internal control.
- Liaises with all necessary key business stakeholders and attend various meetings.
- Conducts regular strategic conversations throughout the credit value chain, internally and externally
- Achieve agreed pre-NPL, NPL and credit loss ratios
- Adhere to the approved total cost as per approved budget / RE’s
- Business partner feedback on efficiency and effectiveness of Wealth and Investment credit decisions
- Satisfactory audit report findings
- Achieve transformation targets
- Adequacy of provisioning
- Adherence to SLAs
- Impairments within set parameters
- Actual vs. target re-completion of business plan
- Variance on approved budget to be favourable
- Risk management: maintain a high quality lending book through the judicious and effective management thereof
- Customer service: add value by delivering prompt, efficient and professional risk management service.
- People management: optimise through the creation of a cohesive / skilled leadership / management team, the attraction, development and performance of staff promoting the right skills, competencies and business accountability.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- First Degree: Business Commerce
- LLB. Admission as an Attorney
- 7-10 years Credit risk management experience is required. Approximately 3+ years of Banking / Business Banking credit related experience plus a strong understanding of business principles and practices. A good knowledge of accounting, economics, commercial law, small business valuations and cash flow analysis. Sound knowledge of Collateral, Business Banking suite of lending products, systems and procedures. Understanding of the various industries within the Business Banking segment including the impact of fluctuating market conditions and associated risk factors across key industries and sectors. A sound understanding and appreciation of credit risk evaluation principles, risk management practices, reporting, governance and credit policies.
- Risk & Reward Thinking
- Risk Identification
- Risk Response Strategy
- Risk Measurement
- Legal Compliance
- Interpersonal and people management
PLEASE NOTE: All our recruitment and selection processes comply with applicable local laws and regulations. We will never ask for money or any form of payment as part of our recruitment process. If you experience this, please contact our Fraudline on +27 800222050 or forward to TransactionFraudOpsSA@standardbank.co.za
WARNING!!! NEVER PAY TO GET A JOB. Never send money online to employers or recruiters. The Employer should provide all the documents free of charge including visa. Real recruiting agencies get paid by the employer.